The Vietnam Thread
Gonna start cooking all my meals and go on an elimination diet. Been living off takeout since I got here and been progressively feeling like shit.

Part of that is crap in the food here. Theres no FDA monitoring things. Also think I have a gluten/milk sensitivity so cutting those too. Gonna be tough.

Sparred/trained for 2 hours today in the gym. Vietnamese studies are coming a long as well. The hard bit is just disciplining myself to speak it while im going about my day. Like its not unusual for me to know how to say something in vietnamese, but i'll just say it in English cause I'm tired or worried they wont understand my accent anyway. Gotta get over that.
(07-09-2019, 12:01 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Gonna start cooking all my meals and go on an elimination diet. Been living off takeout since I got here and been progressively feeling like shit.

Part of that is crap in the food here. Theres no FDA monitoring things. Also think I have a gluten/milk sensitivity so cutting those too. Gonna be tough.

Sparred/trained for 2 hours today in the gym. Vietnamese studies are coming a long as well. The hard bit is just disciplining myself to speak it while im going about my day. Like its not unusual for me to know how to say something in vietnamese, but i'll just say it in English cause I'm tired or worried they wont understand my accent anyway. Gotta get over that.

I remember someone in the RVF Vietnam thread suggesting paying a local woman on their street to make home cooked meals for them. Have you considered this?
Yea it could probably be done reasonably too.

I just dont fancy Vietnamese food, nor is it that healthy compared to other asian cuisine (a lot of wheat and dairy). And theres mystery ingredients in their sauces (gluten, MSG, etc.) that I cant account for.

The cooking isnt much work really. I'm intermittent fast so im only eating 2 meals, lunch and dinner - which I cook in one go. Im using the Chopp.vn app to get groceries delivered. Has some good deals. Got a kilo of grass fed ground beef for around $10.
Dairy? What viet food has dairy?
Its kind of hidden. Smoothies have condensed milk. Bit tet often has cheese. Same with pastas. Its easy enough to avoid I suppose.
Viet food

rice
meat
veggies
noodles
eggs
some fruit
bread for banh mi

Common drinks

tea
water

Meeting friends drink

milk tea
coffee
beer
(07-09-2019, 12:01 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Part of that is crap in the food here. Theres no FDA monitoring things. Also think I have a gluten/milk sensitivity so cutting those too. Gonna be tough.

I was all over Asia but Vietnam was the one place I felt weird after eating stuff. Not even the shits or whatever – I remember waking up at 5am with what felt like super intense heartburn, and had no idea what caused it. I had eaten in various places throughout the day so no idea what caused it.
I must have a stomach made of steel.

Traveled all over 3rd world countries eating street food and can only remember getting sick 1-2 times.

Gonna try to stick to a "lose weight fast" diet aka eating 1 square meal a day with some veggies at night.

Today I had

coffee #1
rice + pork + veggies for late lunch
coffee #2
mushrooms + cabbage for a late night snack

If I follow this for a week I should lose about 2-4kg in 1 week.

At present I am about 88-90kg. I MUST drop down to 75kg.

Tired of carrying around a little too much weight.
(07-09-2019, 01:46 PM)churros Wrote: I was all over Asia but Vietnam was the one place I felt weird after eating stuff. Not even the shits or whatever – I remember waking up at 5am with what felt like super intense heartburn, and had no idea what caused it. I had eaten in various places throughout the day so no idea what caused it.

I get heartburn (or something similar to it anyway) from plain milk (not ice cream etc), coffee, and from intensely sugary drinks. This isn't really the typical list of 'heartburning' food, so it really differs from person to person.

If you've eaten stuff you aren't used to eating, it may have contained elements you are sensitive to which you weren't aware of until now, hence it caught you by surprise.
Dash try Keto, after the first couple days it's not bad and you can eat a decent amount of food while still losing fat
(07-10-2019, 06:06 AM)SC87 Wrote: Dash try Keto, after the first couple days it's not bad and you can eat a decent amount of food while still losing fat

I hate being limited by what to eat. 

I'd rather just eat any 1 meal for the day I want. 

Day 2 in the books. Fairly easy so far. 

Rice + meat for lunch

Veggies for late night snack

Plus 1 or 2 coffees during the day.
I'll give you guys an example on the lack of food hygiene here lol.

I had my girl over (who's actually a good cook) and I was grilling some burgers which she helped me with. She put the cooked burgers on the same plate next to the raw patties..

Not mixing raw and cooked meat was something I learned when I was 8. No wonder so many travelers get the shits here.

Anyway burgers still came out good. Theres no coming back from grassfed beef. Felt like superman when I woke up this morning.
Hello,
i am in Da Nang now. 
i checked some of the locations other people here mentioned and met expats, digital nomads, tourists and locals (of course). 
Da Nang is cool, i lived in Saigon and Vung Tau before and i like it more over here. 

They have a better beach and life is pretty nice. just the nightlife is... honestly... not up to western standards. 
Only Viet-EDM or Filipino rock music sucks after a while. 
I really feel like sorting out a set of beach d&b tunes and approach some places to play my own set Big Grin

THE GIRLS: 
Sure, they look alright, but i haven't seen anything too impressive yet. (i am here since 1 week) 
For some reason many of them are pretty busy with their fake instalife show, taking pics nonstop... ignoring the real life around them, including guys of course. f-ing booooring.

Koreans are everywhere indeed, but the pretty ones are not overly friendly, i found. 
i had some interactions with Koreans before and i am not surprised, still have to meet a friendly one yet. 
The K-Guys are cooler, whatever i may brush up my rusty Korean then and see if that helps... let's see what happens.

Japanese can be found in Da Nang as well, some of them work in the tourism industry as well, not only tourists. 
Funny enough, many Vietnamese bar girls pretend to speak Japanese to impress the jp salarymen on holiday, lol.

I like the bridges at night, lots of lights on the river. the dragon bridge with the fire-spitting show is just fun! Big Grin

The mentioned "Golden Pine" and "Simple Man" pubs are fine but nothing too impressive... if you sit outside it's madness, you get a life remix of hip hop and vn-techno on the spot. A whole family is running around doing their business selling balloons in the dozens to the party sheeple... knowing what it does to your brain long-term i only thought... OMG how stupid Big Grin

Recommendations:
I went to some cocktail bars which are actually nice, the "craftsmen" and the "libre" (they also have a "libre rooftop bar" up north).
the craftsmen has a live music jam session once a month and tons of musicians participate, most of them expats tho.

well, my background is arts and music, apart from languages and translation... so those playing fields are always a bit more exciting in general, i might meet some nice local chicks there as well. the clubs where young vietnamese people tend to go are terrible and expensive.

anyway, in short, i am still happy to be in Da Nang, the music might be a bit shallow, but they have a nice beach and people are actually relaxed and there are tons of girls around. come and see for yourself what you can make out of it.

if anyone here in the forum wants to meet up for a beer PM.

Smile
Da Nang Nightlife:

Just a small selection of places i have visited, there are more of course...
Some are good to go out, some are good for a date... 
(i may update this post later)

City Side

[Image: 19105930_688134848037983_497223101737540...e=5DAD463B]
Golden Pine fb | gm | ta

[Image: 36344284_1733300403372237_33918466985558...e=5DADF5ED]
Simple Man fb | gm | ta

[Image: BateEff.png]
Bamboo 2 fb | gm | ta

[Image: 65156784_906048529728388_153041215025682...e=5DA65559]
Kyoto Lounge fb | gm 

[Image: 46516170_1225280464306728_82118820443686...e=5DAF913B]
Bar Libre fb | gm | ta

Beach Side (across the Han River)

[Image: 51121298_699849623745088_883747657829318...e=5D9FFB50]
7Bridges Taproom fb | gm | ta

[Image: 55575591_715402695521229_745249357975204...e=5DC42199]
The Craftsman Cocktail Bar fb | gm | ta

[Image: 60435318_2755742724496080_35145996513092...e=5DAA9B65]
The Dawn Beach Bar fb | gm | ta

[Image: 61547814_2175229499260312_59229790647751...e=5DB1CB82]
Rooftop Bar Libre fb | gm | ta

update:
i saw some prettier chicks last night at the kyoto lounge, a japanese themed bar.
the music was the average VDM as usual, the atmosphere not too bad, the drinks are a little bit more expensive.
next to me a guy had booked a whole table and some vietnamese and i guess russian chicks were all around him.
they tried to feed him gas balloons but he denied, probably smart... Wink

according to the fb page they seem to have a ladies night (geisha theme) i might go and check it out.
Da Nang is a nice town. Much easier living than Saigon and the people are friendly. Nightlife ain't all that, but it's not that great in Saigon either. The advantage of SGN is just the sheer amount of women. I do think the best talent migrates here as well.

My experience with the Koreans there was the opposite lol. Had Korean girls either giving me IOIs or talking to me only to have their male orbiters pull them away. In fact, my prior trip to Da Nang over Tet also got cockblocked by some middled aged Koreans guys. The 2 viet girls they ambushed fleed over to my table and we're talking to me. One of the Koreans said you dont wanna mess with these girls, they're whores lol. (Not true. They were uni students).
(07-14-2019, 09:25 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Da Nang is a nice town. Much easier living than Saigon and the people are friendly. Nightlife ain't all that, but it's not that great in Saigon either. The advantage of SGN is just the sheer amount of women. I do think the best talent migrates here as well.

My experience with the Koreans there was the opposite lol. Had Korean girls either giving me IOIs or talking to me only to have their male orbiters pull them away. In fact, my prior trip to Da Nang over Tet also got cockblocked by some middled aged Koreans guys. The 2 viet girls they ambushed fleed over to my table and we're talking to me. One of the Koreans said you dont wanna mess with these girls, they're whores lol. (Not true. They were uni students).

some of the korean ladies are probably nice. i just have to meet some more and practise group openers ...
if they give me the cold shoulder i just move on, no time to waste on complicated chicks. Big Grin

PM me if are you in da nang and interested in going for a beer  Cool
I went a Vietnamese restaurant in Canada recently and had an iced coffee, these use condensed milk at the bottom then mix the coffee in with ice. It's one of the best tasting drinks I've ever had. I'd like to have one of those with a banh mi everyday.

There are a ton of viet hotties in Canada, I'd like to check out Vietnam one day and get some clothes made as well.
da nang has a nice beach. and that's it. Angel
Bored already?

That was one of my concerns with moving there. Its the 3rd biggest city in Nam, but it feels small for some reason.

I think if you build a local social circle itd be fine. But you'd need Vietnamese skills.

On that note, my private lessons are paying off. Can chat with girls with no English off tinder/zalo. Sometimes I need to use GG translate, because as with any language theres many ways to form a question or sentence. I might only know 1 way,etc but once i understand im able to reply back without any help.

Speaking/listening is coming along too. People can understand me now lol. Have had short convos on the phone talking to delivery giys,etc without issue too.

Think in 6 months I should be quasi fluent in the language. Then might look into moving to Da Nang.
(07-09-2019, 07:00 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Have a jail-bait waitress in the cafe next to my place being relentlessly flirty. Today wouldnt stop talking to me, and stood gawking at me silently for a good 5 seconds when she brought me my tea.

Pretty sure she's looking for her first white guy experience lol.

Not hot enough for me to be bothered with it though haha.

But hot enough to post about? Bang her, puss.