SwoopTheWorld
Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Printable Version

+- SwoopTheWorld (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Everything Else (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country (/showthread.php?tid=3043)

Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - AirWaves - 01-08-2021

Creating a new thread as Suits suggested to continue the conversation:

(01-08-2021, 02:23 PM)Suits Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 03:50 AM)Blake2 Wrote: Chaining the mentally ill in Indonesia has been in the news recently. Definitely some strange cultural practices. But is it worse than the US, where the mentally ill are often homeless? Its tough being a schizophrenic, even on a tropical island paradise.

I'm not an expert on the topic, but my best guess is that every society could probably improve on how they deal with mental illness.

However, from what I understand many mentally ill homeless people in the US and Canada are in the circumstances that they are because they refuse to accept the services and treatment that is available. Not sure how accurate that is overall. Would love to hear from some members that are more knowledgeable on the topic, but that should be its own thread to avoid cluttering up this one.

A nurse in my social circle back in Atlanta 6-7 years ago who worked with homeless confirmed it for me: unfortunately, many homeless people there were also mentally ill. As someone who rarely interacted with them (car-based city), I wasn't aware of the correlation.

It also probably didn't help that the homeless shelter in the city was shut down due to some combination of local or city government pressure. Classic NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard), regardless of your politics.

I believe it was the same nurse who also told me that some folks don't want to deal with the restrictions some shelters have, such as no drugs, etc. - so they'd rather be on the streets, which tells you how powerful some of these addictions can be.

Based on my smidgen of understanding about it in Poland, mental illness has more of a stigma there than in the US, and seems to be talked about less. Keep in mind that's relative, and I'm not saying which one is right or wrong.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Blake2 - 01-08-2021

USA: Back in the day there were many more mental institutions that forced these people to get help, whether they wanted it or not.
With deinstituionalization, many of these people were moved onto community support which was inadequate.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6479924/

Nigeria:

Extreme stigma for mental illness. oye aro is the term I heard used in one of the local languages (igbo I believe). Its seen as a grave insult to call someone this. You almost become an "unperson". The mentally ill can be cut off from the community.

Eastern Europe:

I agree with Airwaves that Poland stigmatizes mental illness, though this is a "soft" stigma.

Ukraine and Belarus have more of a "hard stigma". For example, in Ukraine once you are put on the "ill list" you will never be able to find an official job again. Your psychiatric history is available to employers. I'm not sure this is true, but the I've heard this repeated so often that I can imagine the stigma associated with mental illness there.

On the other hand, many behaviors that are medicalized in the West are accepted. Alcoholism, ADHD type behavior, deep sadness and pessimism...are considered part of the normal range of human expression.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Suits - 01-09-2021

(01-08-2021, 06:08 PM)Blake2 Wrote: On the other hand, many behaviors that are medicalized in the West are accepted. Alcoholism, ADHD type behavior, deep sadness and pessimism...are considered part of the normal range of human expression.

That's an interesting observation.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Blake2 - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 12:19 AM)Suits Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 06:08 PM)Blake2 Wrote: On the other hand, many behaviors that are medicalized in the West are accepted. Alcoholism, ADHD type behavior, deep sadness and pessimism...are considered part of the normal range of human expression.

Why Russians Don't Get Depressed

https://www.wired.com/2010/08/why-russians-dont-get-depressed/

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Brodiaga - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 04:37 PM)Blake2 Wrote:

It's an interesting article. What's an example of self-distancing when analyzing your feelings?

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Blake2 - 01-10-2021

(01-09-2021, 04:50 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 04:37 PM)Blake2 Wrote:

It's an interesting article. What's an example of self-distancing when analyzing your feelings?

Discussing situation and watching the event unfold as an observer instead or in the third person perspective:

'First, I asked "Blake, what are you nervous about? It is not like this will be the first interview or speech you have ever had to give." Blake has often done this in the past, despite difficulties, so why couldn't he do it this time?'

Imagine what an exemplar would do in the situation: What would Jesus do? What would your father do? What would Arnold Schwarzenegger do?

Time shift- How will this situation be remembered a year from now? 10 years from now?

Imagine advising others- What would I tell my friend in this situation?
This prioritizes the most important facts and downplays short term emotions. Think about if your friend lost their job vs if you lost your job:

If you lost it, you might focus on how mad you are at your boss, how worried you are about paying rent, how low your chances for a good career are. You might pay excessive attention on minor details in your resume or where to apply to a next job.

Its much easier to think about if your friend lost their job: you'd tell them how to go about finding a new one- just send out resumes everywhere, get in touch with industry contacts, improve your resume by getting more education/training, have someone else look at their resume to edit it, you're career isn't as bad when compared with colleagues, other people with the same or even fewer skills got jobs so its a matter of finding opportunities, etc.

Focusing on the emotions, you could say "Blake hated his job, so he was pissed like a lot of people would be. Pretty similar to a situation in a Bukowski novel. Reminds me of a good quote: 'I don’t like the clean-shaven boy with the necktie and the good job. I like desperate men, men with broken teeth and broken minds and broken ways. They interest me. They are full of surprises and explosions.'"

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - dingdongditch - 01-10-2021

The restrictions on homeless shelters to their target population frequently disallow both legal and illegal forms of income. It's mostly a deliberate cap - if homeless shelters were nice and not actually dystopian places to reside, more people would live there.

No person masturbating on a bus will ever work at Bank of America, will never make more than $1000 / month in disability, and needs the night on the street to hustle, panhandle, deal drugs, hook, especially when they're pouring that cash into dope. It's certainly amoral to that individual to penalize these activities especially with the location disparities in their legality but the tradeoff is a more cohesive society.

A homeless person working at Bank of America can't wait in line for the bed, and they can't bring their items in, so they sleep in their car if they have one, or make use of a shelter so temporarily that those entering and staying are the worst of the worst.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Merenguero - 01-11-2021

Bank of America has some dumb ass people working there. I doubt any of them would be spanking it on a bus, though, so I agree with your post.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Mister Happy - 01-11-2021

I was once banging a chick who lived in a shelter, had to get her home at 6pm curfew and it was of course full of nutjobs. You know what is unfair is very easy for a woman to get in a shelter, but men are excluded if there is a woman. Men are basically disposable. You don't have depression in Russia, just alcoholism and early death.

I had a friend who accidentally ejaculated or something on a bus lol the way he explained it he fell asleep and had a wet dream I guess. Apparently the woman sitting next to him thought otherwise and he got in trouble. But now I think about it he was a self-published author on disability. So I guess would never work at BOA. But BOA are a bunch of cunts.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Blake2 - 01-11-2021

MisterHappy, where do you come up with this stuff? Big Grin

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Merenguero - 01-13-2021

(01-11-2021, 01:31 PM)Blake2 Wrote: MisterHappy, where do you come up with this stuff?  Big Grin

In a way, I'm thinking that MisterHappy is the new El Mech in that he has some really unconventional ways of finding women to bang.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Jetset - 01-18-2021

(01-08-2021, 06:08 PM)Blake2 Wrote: USA: Back in the day there were many more mental institutions that forced these people to get help, whether they wanted it or not.
With deinstituionalization, many of these people were moved onto community support which was inadequate. ... On the other hand, many behaviors that are medicalized in the West are accepted. Alcoholism, ADHD type behavior, deep sadness and pessimism...are considered part of the normal range of human expression.

I think this is a huge balancing issue in the United States. We have systems of shelters, but you can't bring your drugs, so if you're addicted, you probably won't go. On the other hand, if you're actively schizophrenic, you're a danger to people in the shelter, but you're much more likely to be beaten or killed on the street, either by another psychotic person or by somebody who doesn't understand you're just nuts and didn't mean what you said.

The system is unequivocally a mess.

(01-11-2021, 12:12 PM)Mister Happy Wrote: I had a friend who accidentally ejaculated or something on a bus lol the way he explained it he fell asleep and had a wet dream I guess. Apparently the woman sitting next to him thought otherwise

I think she might have had a point

However, yes, BOA are a bunch of cunts.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - WombRaider - 02-14-2021

Quote:I had a friend who accidentally ejaculated or something on a bus

I'm curious about the range of things that "or something" could possibly include.

RE: Perception/Treatment of Mental Illness by Country - Blake2 - 02-19-2021

"Here are the countries with the greatest burden of disease for mental and behavioral disorders, in terms of most years of life lost due to disability or death adjusted for population size, according to WHO.

OVERALL- DEPRESSION- ANXIETY- ALCOHOL & DRUG USE-
1)China- China- China- China-
2)India- India- India- U.S.-
3)U.S.- U.S.- U.S.- India-
4)Brazil- Brazil- Brazil- Russia-
5)Russia- Bangladesh- Indonesia- Brazil-
6)Indonesia- Russia- Pakistan- Nigeria-
7)Pakistan- Indonesia- Bangladesh- Pakistan-
8)Nigeria- Nigeria- Iran- Ukraine-
9)Bangladesh- Pakistan- Nigeria- Mexico-
10)Mexico- Iran- Germany- Bangladesh-"