SwoopTheWorld
Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - Printable Version

+- SwoopTheWorld (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Lifestyle Forum (https://www.swooptheworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... (/showthread.php?tid=1977)

Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - billydingdong - 10-30-2019

Last night I was goofing around in my apartment and took a sip of water. My throat was a little sore which means I'm about to get sick. I'm in the USA, the weather is starting to change, so this is par for the course this time of year

What are your treatments and rituals to get yourself back healthy for when you're feeling sick?

In the case of the common cold and sore throat, which is what I'm going through, I basically do 3 things:

1. Stop lifting + intensive exercising but make sure to walk and move my body. I'll get on the treadmill with the geriatrics at the gym and take a brisk 10 - 15 minute stroll.

2. I take a high dose of Vitamin C, around 2000 mg per day. I tolerate it well and don't get the runs which supposedly happens to some people.

3. I make an aromatic tea of water, grated ginger, cloves, lemon, and mint with honey as a sweetener. This is also good for hangovers. Side benefit: you can add bourbon to it and it's somehow even better.

Necessary disclaimer: None of this is medical advice, just talking about what we do.... If what you have might be serious go see a fucking doctor.

RE: Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - zatara - 10-30-2019

I have a pretty similar routine. I stop working out entirely, but only if its quite bad. For only feeling a little sick I just power through.

I take a slightly higher dose of Vitamin C, anywhere from 3-4g, but spaced out over the day and night. From what I've read this in theory really reduces the duration of any sickness. Haven't had any digestion problems yet, but I'm pretty heavy (90KG) so that might be a factor.

I also make sure to get anywhere from 9 to 11 hours sleep if sick/about to be sick, I'd heavily recommend that too. A bit harder to make happen with work obligations, but if someone is in Europe most white collar jobs have pretty loose sick day policies which helps massively.

RE: Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - Swordfish1010 - 10-30-2019

A trick is to drink coffee to reboot your adrenals when getting run down. Also sleep is most important, cutting down on stress, and lemon water.

RE: Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - SpecialEd - 10-30-2019

^What lol coffee taxes your adrenal glands. Worst thing to drink when sick

RE: Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - Swordfish1010 - 10-30-2019

(10-30-2019, 06:32 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: ^What lol coffee taxes your adrenal glands. Worst thing to drink when sick

k

RE: Fighting minor illnesses: the common cold, sore throats, the flu, stomach bugs etc... - billydingdong - 10-30-2019

(10-30-2019, 06:32 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: ^What lol coffee taxes your adrenal glands. Worst thing to drink when sick

I'm not aware that there is any kind of consensus on the benefits or drawbacks of coffee while dealing with the common cold. Personally I lower my intake more so to preserve hydration since it makes me piss like a drunken sailor. Haven't found it worthwhile steering clear altogether.

Although, I definitely avoid it completely when there is a stomach issue.